Saturday 3 March 2012

Statement Necklace

What statement is the statement necklace trying to make?



I am a very important necklace, so the woman I am wearing is obviously the most important woman in the room. She can afford me for a start and didn't notice or anyway care about people smirking as she held me up against her throat in the shop. And as original as any woman wearing a statement necklace.'
Somehow a statement necklace doesn't suit me. I'm not really strong enough to stand up to one. A yellow-gold and black collar borrowed from an African queen. A cape of red and amethyst wedges. A circle of orange stones guarded by deep spikes. A bold piece of armour bolted together in the B&Q hardware section.
I would like to be able to wear something which speaks louder than this silver chain with the little teacup pendant, which I suppose is saying, 'I'm not very good at jewellery, but I'd love a cup of tea, thanks.' But when I try on anything bigger I just look foolish, diminished and sidelined by my statement necklace.